Saturday, April 23, 2011

I'm Losing My Winter Coat and My Mind


A few times a year (which is a few too many) I go through a period of time of losing more hair then other times.

Yes I am a bit dramatic, but my hair has always been my best accessory and have been aware of how lucky I am to have good hair.

I rarely dye my hair, I cut it four times a year, I wash it every other day and sometimes every two; the only product I use after I wash it is volumizing mousse- so I'd say it's one of the most low maintenance hair routines you can probably have.

So I finally googled, "do people shed hair seasonally."

I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but happily found my answer.

The normal human hair on the scalp consists of about 100,000 hair follicles. Each healthy hair follicle is capable of hair re-growth innumerable times in its lifetime. The normal rate of hair shedding is about 50-100 hairs a day, but some seasonal changes can trigger the hair shedding to occur even two times faster.
According to researchers, hair grows steadily in winter while shedding starts increasing in spring and reaches its maximum in fall to have 100 hairs shed in a day. The shedding also affects rate of hair re-growth.
The rate of seasonal hair shedding and hair re-growth can vary from person to person. Some people are prone to shed large amounts of hair but they soon can have their hair growth restored through quick hair re-growth with the change of season.

Okay so I feel a touch better. It can be very scary though when it just doesn't seem to be stopping at times.

So how do you know if it's a serious issue and not just seasonal? The best thing you can do is monitor as closely as you can.
Since it is impossible to count, you can take mental notes or write it down throughout the day if it's that bad.

Losing your hair at any age can be a very traumatic experience, men and women find this experience can ruin their confidence and make them look years older. There are many reasons why your hair starts to thin out. Illness, medications, alopecia, menopause, and simply through your genes.

Here are some tips to give the illusion of fuller hair-

  • Adding a deeper color
  • Thickening hair shampoos
  • Dry shampoo for days you don't have time to wash
  • Don't brush it while it's wet (if you can help it)

Is anyone else noticing more hair loss this time of year?













No comments:

Post a Comment