Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My Go-To Snack or Meal Replacement

I make a protein shake almost everyday.

It helps me keep my weight in check so I am less likely to snack, but it also keeps my protein intake high incase I am eating too much fruit (or chocolate). This creates a better balance for my protein, carb and fat intake and then I don't fluctuate in weight.

I don't log in my dietary intake, though I use to and should, but I try to be mindful of what I'm eating. But it is so darn time consuming!

If I know I'm going to be eating a late dinner at 8:oo then I will have a shake around 5:3o; usually because I am hungry, but also because there is no way I can go more than 3-4 hours without eating.
This can be a challenge when I travel, but I try to eat a very balanced meal before a flight so I don't snack on stale pretzels or sodium loaded peanuts on the plane and I always pack my own snacks. But I'm sure you knew that- I'm the girl that travels with wet-wipes in her bag too remember?

Because I've been making these shakes for several months now I have become quite resourceful and creative in the kitchen. Who says a protein shake has to taste like a protein shake??
Mine definitely don't.

There are so many varieties of whey protein now that there's a flavor out there for anyone. While I realize this doesn't replace real food, I still use it as a meal replacement if I need to have light dinner, especially if I had a really bad weekend, which is usually the case.

I don't do cleanses or any detox diets so this is kind of my way of keeping things light. I never do more than one shake a day though...tried two in one day and learned my lesson because I felt extremely nauseous and horrible.
So you do need real food too! Because I generally have very balanced diet, I'm getting all the nutrition I need even without the shake. It really helps if I don't want to eat meat everyday or if I need to run errands I can put it in a to-go cup.

I won't be sharing all of my recipes with you today, but I will gradually...

Here's what I made today:

8 ounces of Almond Breeze Almond Milk in Vanilla flavor- UNSWEETENED (there are so many varieties of this almond milk that it is very easy to pick up the wrong one)

1 scoop (sometimes 1 1/2 - 2 scoops if I know I won't be eating for hours) vanilla whey protein powder, whichever brand you like- I like to switch it up a lot, both brands and flavors

A heaping tablespoon of Oikos Plain Greek Yogurt

A tablespoon of ground flaxseed

A half a teaspoon of organic instant coffee powder (for a bit of energy and really good flavor!)

A half cup of ice or more depending how thick you like it (it's best to add a bit of ice as you go if you aren't good at making smoothies)

I didn't add any fruit today, though usually I do, but I had a pear not too long before I made the shake.

It tasted FANTASTIC!!

I rarely make the same shake everyday, although I might replicate this one from today- it was THAT good.










No comments:

Post a Comment