Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pecan Bundt Cake to start the New Year






For Christmas I tried baking a spice cake and it just did not work out.

I followed the directions exactly on the box, but apparently it didn't matter. Though I managed to make some amazing cream cheese frosting to put on top, I couldn't save the cake.

I threw the whole thing away.

I think baking is something that takes practice and experimenting to see what works. I don't like the clean up that comes with baking and I lack self-control in the sweet department.

So I don't bake.

I decided I had to redeem myself because I made the spice cake for my mom's birthday and I was so bummed that I wasn't able to make her something she could enjoy.

A couple of years ago my mom bought me a Christmas tree bundt cake pan. Not sure why. Maybe it was a hint?

She's subtle like that.

I had some pecans in the pantry and brown sugar left over from a casserole I made recently so I wanted to use things I already had.

I also know that bundt cakes are the hardest to make, so the ENTIRE time I was making this my OCD kicked in. I must have checked on it in the oven a dozen times.

But you know what?!

It turned out PERFECT.

I couldn't believe it was something that I made.

I took it over to my mom's right away and she loved it.

My very picky step-dad also had some and liked it too!

Here's the recipe~

1 package of yellow cake mix (Duncan Hines preferably)
1 package of Jell-O Vanilla Instant Pudding (either the regular 3.4 oz box or the sugar free 1 oz box- I used the sugar free one)
4 eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon (you can use more if need be)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350.

Spray tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle pan with 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.

Put first 6 ingredients in large bowl and blend well. You can use a mixer for 3 minutes instead.

Add brown sugar and nuts and mix again.

Pour in pan and bake about an hour or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Mine was done at 54 minutes.

Cool cake in pan for 15 minutes (not on top of the stove).

Loosen cake from sides and place on a wire rack to cool completely before sprinkling (or dousing) with powdered sugar to serve.



Oh and just incase you were wondering why I posted a picture of my dog in this blog.

There isn't one.

He's just awesome.






No comments:

Post a Comment