Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What Gets Me Up In The Morning

I suppose a lot of things get me up - mainly my boyfriend's alarm at 6am, my dog, the trash truck (comes twice a week), and our pool guy once a week.
Once I am up I am up, no matter what time I went to bed. I know that there's always conflicting information on why coffee is good and bad for you, but after drinking it for years, I must say that the happiness it brings me in the morning completely outweigh the risks. I found some great facts on why it is GOOD for you:

Increases Alertness- It stimulates the nervous system, regulates blood pressure and intestinal functions in the body.
Stimulates Breath- It dilates and opens up airways and aids those who have asthma or bronchitis.
Rich in Antioxidants- Protects free radical damage in the body, prevents high blood pressure, and pre-mature aging.
Weight Loss- Low in calories and can help burn extra calories by boosting your metabolism.
Treating Migraines- Caffeine is a common ingredient in over the counter pain killers.
Diuretic Functions- Causes the kidneys to produce more urine, which helps in flushing out toxins.
Improved Brain Function- People who consume 2-3 cups a day are more productive at work and remember things better; regular coffee drinkers are also less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease in their golden years. (My boyfriend's grandmother is in her mid 9o's and rarely gets sick or has any diseases- she drinks a pot a day).
Cancer- A Harvard medical school study reported that regular drinkers are 5o% less likely to suffer from breast, colon, and prostate cancer.

You do have to be careful with all the fancy name sounding coffee drinks at Starbucks, Coffee Bean, etc.. Most of those are not good for you because of added sugar or sugar-free syrups that have a lot of chemicals.
I suggest making your coffee at home so you know what you are drinking or check the nutrition facts if you would prefer someone to make your drink.
I went to Starbucks for almost 10 years on daily basis and many times twice a day (hot drink in the morning, iced in the afternoons). I enjoyed it and still occasionally do, but now prefer to have my coffee at home- no sugar of any kind, no syrup, no whip cream (okay sometimes), and no milk. I love making flavored coffee, my favorites are usually french vanilla and on the weekends I like special flavors like coconut cream or hawaiian hazlenut. The only thing I put in it is full fat half and half. I suppose fat free would suffice, but I love my coffee creamy and fat free doesn't even sound good. And also because of the fat in the creamer I am more likely to feel satisfied and snack less..or so I keep telling myself that.



3 comments:

  1. So happy to see you're blogging again :) I will for sure be reading! I splurged and bought a Keurig this weekend. The coffee is amazing. I cannot wait until I can try all of the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me and my business partner love coffee, and like you, I can't live without it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jenny, your support means a lot. My neighbor has one and she invites me over all the time for coffee, it's so good!!

    ReplyDelete